Friday, July 31, 2009

Fisherman, Fisher of Men.

I write this one for those who never read the bible and for those who love this part as much as I do.

Many people think Jesus was a good teacher and not much more. His message was peace and love, "do unto others", and "love your enemies, love your neighbors". He was all of that, but he was much more.

Jesus' real message focused so much more on showing God's glory to others. Share the the power and awesomeness of God and share the good news of salvation and reconciliation to God. My personal favorite is when he calls his first apostles as read in Matthew, chapter4 v 18-20:

As Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. "Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men." At once they left their nets and followed him.

Now, if you read the Gospel of John you will see that this wasn't the first time he met these brothers. They had become familiar with one another by this point, but the comment by Jesus and the response of Peter and Andrew is remarkable, none the less. Think about it as a fisherman: your sole purpose is to catch fish. These guys didn't really use bait, but cast large nets. Bring em in, He said! Jesus made these brothers to be fishers of men! Go forth, and bring me people - all shapes and sizes, indiscriminately. Bait them with the good news and bring them to me, the Messiah, and I will keep them!

In John ch10, v7-8 Jesus says "My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand."

The sheep, here, are the caught fish of Matthew, chapter 4. Think of the promise and the hope in these words! How exciting is this?! Despite the pain and the heartache of this world, He is faithful to comfort you and to love you. Despite your transgressions and sins, past or future, he's faithful to forgive you and pay the punishment you have earned. Despite the Devil and his entire band of demons, the people who would turn you from him, or even the temptations of your own flesh, He is strong enough to keep you - NO ONE can snatch you from His hand!

If ever there was a lure I'm glad I bit onto, it was the one Jesus cast to me. Now, with His guidance and direction, I hope and pray I can be the bait He wants me to be. I say with great hope and joy: I want to be a fisher of men!

No comments: